Friday, August 3, 2012

Prayer

Hello.  My name is Melissa and I struggle with prayer.   It's not due to lack of faith (though deep down, I suspect it is but that's another post for another day).  My struggle with prayer is an attention, focus issue.  It's as if I suddenly develop ADD whenever I sit for a concentrated prayer time.

When pregnant with Hudson, I knew I wanted to be diligent in my prayer time for my son.  So many saints have credited the prayers of their mother as a contributing factor in their salvation, perseverance in ministry, etc... so it is super important.  But, how would I be sure to pray daily and specifically for my little one?

First, I found this on pinterest.  However, I have failed in using this for two main reasons.
1) I didn't get it printed before Hudson's born.
2) I'm a new Mama and honestly have no idea what day it is let alone what date of the month to use this prayer guide.

Good stuff, but not working for me.

So, how do I hold myself accountable for praying daily for Hudson?  Well, it all happened kinda accidentally. (Though as a reformed believer, I doubt any of this was "accidental" but again that's another post for another day.)

After Hudson's bath, I slather him in baby lotion.  Side note:  Is there anything in the world that smells better?  Back to the point: As I was slathering loation on his little body the Lord prompted me to pray for his little body parts.  Pray for physical growth and develop, of course, but also for his future salavation and service to the Lord.



When rubbing lotion on Hudson's face and chest, I pray for his brain and heart.  I pray that they will both develop properly and be strong.  I pray that his mind will understand the gospel of Christ (2 Peter 3:18) and that his heart will love the One True God alone (Deuteronomy 6:5).


When rubbing lotion on Hudson's hands and arms, I ask God to guide Hudson to worship God alone(John 4:24).  I ask that his hands would be useful in serving others (Galatians 5;13).  That Hudson will not use his hands for evil tasks, but for good (Psalm 24:4).  I pray for his future career, whatever that may be, that he will do well and use his gifts and talents for God (Colossians 3:23).


When rubbing lotion on Husdon's feet and legs, I pray that Hudson would walk in righteousness and peace (Isaiah 57:2).  I ask God to give Hudson wisdom to flee evil; to flee even the appearance of evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22).

When rubbing lotin on Hudson's back, I ask God to give Hudson strong convictions that are based on the Bible.  I pray that he will have the courage to stand for God's truth no matter what (Ephesians 4:15).

I'm sure praying for my son while rubbing lotion on him is not something I am the only one to do.  However, if you're a Mom and struggle with dedicating a specific time to pray for your child perhaps this will help you as it has helped me. 

There is nothing greater than to be praying aloud for your child and look down and see his/her smiling little face.


Click here to read a short biography of Hudson Taylor (the missionary after whom Hudson is named) who credits the persistent prayers of his mother for finally bringing him to faith in Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for getting my hormonal emotions & tears flowing! This is so sweet, and I'm "pinning" it for the future. :) I'll try it out tonight.

    ReplyDelete