Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pregnancy Brain: 3 - Melissa: 0

I have pregnancy brain. Seriously, it's a disorder. According to webmd.com, pregnancy brain is basically bouts of forgetfulness due to surging hormones, a change in priorities, and spatial memory issues. I am afflicted. Take yesterday for instance:

  • I was in charge of today's field trip (bad idea - lol) and in my "fog" hadn't read the invoice closely. It clearly states "Tickets will be mailed to school with prepayment." Our sweet (and detail-oriented) secretary noticed this. Enter panic mode. Prayers were prayed and fingers were crossed as I called the facility. Thankfully, we could purchase tickets at the door. Crisis averted.

  • As apart of this evil field trip I was coordinating, I needed to give the director of the facility our total number attending. I added the same three numbers three* times. 88 + 6 + 9 = 93. My first answer = incorrect. 88 + 6 + 9 = 103. Yes! I can add! Then I recount and realized I had miscounted and my numbers were wrong. 88 + 6 + 13 = 107. I only got this correct because sweet school secretary took pity on my soul and added it herself to double-check me. It wouldn't be so bad that I can't add - except I called facility director each time to say "Here are our total numbers = 93; Ok so I can't add this time we have a final number of 103; No wait - I can't count I promise it's 107." Seriously, between calls and emails I contacted this lady no less than 4 times yesterday.

  • When leaving to go home, I had to go to the room 3 separate times because I kept forgetting things: first my bag, then my keys.

I used to be organized. I used to be able to multitask. I used to remember everything. Now - no such luck. James has never been the organized one of us, but I've been able to keep our household up and running the past three years. Now - oh geesh. Here's praying Baby Lackey will inherit my former, long forgotten organization genes. Perhaps he/she will be able to keep me together because at this rate - I'm bound to forget the little guy/gal somewhere. *sigh*

*NOTE this has been edited. The original post said "four times" but it was only three. I can't count anymore! See what I'm talking about? It's a good thing I only teach second grade. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can sympathize. I had sticky notes all over EVERYTHING when I was pregnant. And I hate to tell you, after you have your little bundle, it will only get worse. So stock up on sticky notes and start making memos! God bless!

    ReplyDelete