Sunday, April 22, 2012

Light & Momentary Troubles

The 3rd trimester, which started out fine about 5 weeks ago, has proved to not be my friend.  I feel weak.  Who am I kidding?  I am weak.  I am weakened by the lack of sleep, frequent trips to the restroom, rather intense pelvic pain, and all too often back pain.  To top it off, this physical weakness has caused me to have very little control over my emotions (sorry dear husband) as I literally will cry at the drop of a hat.

I have just under 6 weeks left until Hudson's born and honestly, I'm doubting my ability to stick it out.  Granted, I have no choice (haha) but if my belly had a zipper I'd totally get him out of there for a few hours of restful sleep.

Today at church, several Moms empathized; giving hugs and reminding me that it'll all be worth it once Hudson's here.  I know that; it's just hard to remember that when he stretches so hard that I feel like I'm about lose my bladder in my seat yet can't get up because he's simultaneously pressing on my ribs causing me to lose my breath.  I keep telling him that Life Lesson #1 is to not make life difficult for Mommy, but he's not listening just yet.

Fortunately the Lord is good.  Today he encouraged me with the words of 2 Corinthians 4 specifically verses 16-18 which read:

     Therefore, we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly
     we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving
     for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So let us fix our eyes not on what is
     seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal.

Now, Paul's talking about persevering through persecution, which isn't my situation at all.  My situation is simply the result of the fall of man - thank you very much Mrs. Eve.  However, I am encouraged for many reasons.

1)  It is all temporary.  In about 5 weeks, Lord willing, I will be in love with my little son completely forgetting the discomfort and pain leading up to his birth. 
2)  The solution to my pain is to fix my eyes on what is unseen - Jesus.  Focusing on Jesus is the best distraction to my pain and provides the only true relief and ability to endure.
3)  The Lord promises renewal.  This, I so desperately need. Not simply physical renewal (though that would totally be welcomed right about now) but emotional and spiritual renewal.  I need strength from him, endurance to persevere, and the power of the Holy Spirit to help me restrain the tears and emotional breakdowns. 

So please join me in prayer for these things. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your faithfulness in posting this and for your transparency. I needed that Scripture - as the Lord knew. I have 17 & 18 memorized, but not 16. I have committed to be my new memory passage. Thank you for your mini exposition/application. While I can't identify with #1 ;), I do need 2 & 3 most desperately.

    Praying for you!
    Rachel
    Hebrews 12:1-17

    ReplyDelete